PINOT GRIGIO: 2017 VINTAGE WILL BE DOC

Pinot Grigio is almost ready to be harvested and with 2017 vintage there is a great change: PINOT GRIGIO DELLE VENEZIE IGT is becoming PINOT GRIGIO DELLE VENEZIE DOC.

DOC (Denominazione di Origine ControllataControlled Denomination of Origin) appellation is a geographical indication shown on the label of reserved wines that meet the requirements set out by specific production regulations and national and community legislation. This Italian wine classification system was created in 1963 and has greatly increased the quality of wine exports from Italy. The D.O.C. indicates the geographical location wine must be produced in, standards of grape variety, colour, flavour, aroma, acidity, alcohol content, period of aging and maximum yield that the producer must adhere to. Only wine adhering to these precise regulations can be labeled with the D.O.C. geographical indication.

Producers have to focus on quality and protect the international reputation of Italian wine by ensuring that wine meets the quality standard required by the DOC guidelines.
Pinot Grigio delle Venezie DOC will be the expression of a specific terroir and this new appellation enhances the history and the tradition of this ancient and noble grape originally from Treviso area.

New Appellation for Pinot Grigio means new rules.

  • Pinot Grigio grapes has to be grown in Veneto, Friuli Venezia Giulia and Trentino regions
  • The new regulation allows the wine production of Pinot Grigio (still), Pinot Grigio frizzante (demi-sparkling) and Pinot Grigio Spumante (sparkling). The producer have to use Pinot Grigio grapes in 85% minimum. The other 15% is for white autochthonous grapes.
  • The 2017 vintage every Pinot Grigio delle Venezie DOC bottle bears a Government Quality Label displaying a number that makes it unique and traceable, together with the name and logo of the denomination. It can be recognized by its blu colour, as the Prosecco DOC.
  • Reduction of yield/hectare from 190 q.li to 180 q.li
    Reduction of yield grape/wine from 80% to 70% with the maximum production allowed of 126 hl/ha
  • The organoleptic characteristics are specified in the new regulation.
    Color: golden yellow, sometimes with copper pink shades
    Flavour: fruity, intense, lightly aromatic
    Taste: fresh and balanced, from dry to medium sweet
    Alcohol: minimum 11%
    Acidity: minimum 4,5 g/l
    An examination board will certifie the respect of these features.

With the new DOC Delle Venezie regulation the old «delle Venezie IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica)» is changing in «TREVENEZIE IGT». This change will start from 2017 vintage.

More info available on the official DOC delle Venezie website http://dellevenezie.it/en/

Annunci